Msmiz - I read almost anything!

What a Blog you say? Really you shouldn't have, no I am serious, you shouldn't.

I love that I have a place for a blog description.  I am not creative enough to blog, hence never blogging before.  I absolutely stink at well thought out reviews, but I read. I read A LOT.  It used to be more, I could average 800+ books a year.  But then the EDJ started asking me to put forth more effort for pay.  Bastards.

Written in the Stars

Most important here though is my rating scale.  I put forth a lot of 3 stars.  I would prefer a scale of 7 points measurement, hence my 3s are more like 3, 4, and 5 respectively.  In fact, most books that fall within the 3, I would like to take out to the 3rd, if not 4th decimal.  With that said, here is the basic summary of scale.

5- Beyond brilliant, would read again without question

4- Better than your average bear.  Would not hesitate to recommend

3- Do not be fooled.  These are books I liked but the fall into the category of:

Cotton Candy for the brain

Great story, needs editing

Great characters, needs editing

Hit the right spot, needs editing

Could not quite get me there.  The story was just short of a home run.

Short stories.  While I do love a good Novella/short story, etc, it has to be AMAZING

to the Nth degree to knock it up to a 4.

2- Story, characters, and/or editing were not enough to pull it out.  My head popped up

and out of the story too often

1- Are you kidding me with this shit?

What I read

As the title professes, just about anything.  I prefer stories that take me out of real life.  I get enough of that at home. Thus, I tend to stay away from self help or theory based books.  I am a very character driven reader.  I like a good plot just like any reader, but for me, a story really wins if I can fall into the stories and feel the characters.

Enough out of me for now!

Falling in Love with Crazy - Dane Waters 3.7 There is some fantastic dialog in this story. There are so many great moments between Ryuu and Daniel that will remind you of a championship ping pong game where the spectators heads are just whipping back and forth. I found Daniel's ability to read people very cool - very RDJ in Sherlock Holmes. Throughout the story you will be asking yourself, how much can one person take and Daniel's state of mind makes perfect sense.

Here is where most readers are going to have issue: There was not enough time. Time to really fall in love with the two MCs love story. There was not enough time for their love to marinate and for me to feel as deep in love as they were feeling. The main part of the story took place over 5 days. When one of the MCs is certifiable, I want more time with that person and the connection. The next thing that folks are not going to like, the secondary plot. I understand that Daniel's story needed a stressful catalyst and maybe if I had had more time with their relationship and watch the flavors mix more, I would not have resented its intrusion as much. With that said, it was a consistent secondary plot. The author did not spring it on us nor drop it, it was always there running along side us, which I appreciated. One last niggle - the often brought up Seme and Uke talk. It got old-actually I just did a search and it is used 14 times. Interesting that it felt more - that is probably because it was the least interesting part of the story!

I really appreciated where the story ended. I do not think I could have taken a pure HEA. I would have thrown the book to the wolves if that had happened. This also was the first time the readers had access to what was going on in Daniel's head. I can see the reason why and I can probably pick it all a part and theorize on it (and also maybe talk about why now and not earlier), but instead I will just say it worked for me. I think watching him from outside while he deteriorated helped me when we did get access to the inner workings.

It will be interesting to see what others think. I can honestly say I could straddle the fence and depending could land on either side of the 3 stars.

Truckers
Terry Pratchett
A Dangerous Fortune
Ken Follett
Wicked Gentlemen (Hells Below)
Ginn Hale
The Round House
Louise Erdrich
The Cat in the Cradle
Jay Bell
Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
Stacia Kane
Reach for the Moon (Alejo and Bobby, #2)
Val Kovalin