Msmiz - I read almost anything!

What a Blog you say? Really you shouldn't have, no I am serious, you shouldn't.

I love that I have a place for a blog description.  I am not creative enough to blog, hence never blogging before.  I absolutely stink at well thought out reviews, but I read. I read A LOT.  It used to be more, I could average 800+ books a year.  But then the EDJ started asking me to put forth more effort for pay.  Bastards.

Written in the Stars

Most important here though is my rating scale.  I put forth a lot of 3 stars.  I would prefer a scale of 7 points measurement, hence my 3s are more like 3, 4, and 5 respectively.  In fact, most books that fall within the 3, I would like to take out to the 3rd, if not 4th decimal.  With that said, here is the basic summary of scale.

5- Beyond brilliant, would read again without question

4- Better than your average bear.  Would not hesitate to recommend

3- Do not be fooled.  These are books I liked but the fall into the category of:

Cotton Candy for the brain

Great story, needs editing

Great characters, needs editing

Hit the right spot, needs editing

Could not quite get me there.  The story was just short of a home run.

Short stories.  While I do love a good Novella/short story, etc, it has to be AMAZING

to the Nth degree to knock it up to a 4.

2- Story, characters, and/or editing were not enough to pull it out.  My head popped up

and out of the story too often

1- Are you kidding me with this shit?

What I read

As the title professes, just about anything.  I prefer stories that take me out of real life.  I get enough of that at home. Thus, I tend to stay away from self help or theory based books.  I am a very character driven reader.  I like a good plot just like any reader, but for me, a story really wins if I can fall into the stories and feel the characters.

Enough out of me for now!

Rock and a Hard Place - Jane Davitt, Alexa Snow Have you ever read a book where you were just exhausted at the end? yeah that was this book for me. Sean is an out financial manager at this firm where Andrew is heir apparent. Sean has a chip on his shoulder the state wide and is out for blood where Andrew is concerned. The constant and I do mean constant fighting was tiring. Andrews inability to man up until the end with parents that were hard to take added to the muddy story.

Andrew and Sean end up in a plane crash a la Cast Away. Andrew is gay but in the closet to uphold what he 'thinks' his parents want for him - a wife, kids, running the company, etc. On the island however, it is just the two of them and even gross, hungry and sandy they figure out away. From this point the fighting went from 100% to 75% sometimes 25%!! yeah. They get rescued 5 days later. Andrew goes back to pretending to like women and Sean goes back to his perpetual chip on shoulder state. Now here is where the real fun begins and the fucker begins. Wugh save us from men who are too pig headed to see the real deal.

Now it may sound like I did not like it. From this team of writers, you know you are going to get a solidly written book and that is the case here. And I liked it, I did, I was just really tired with them by the end and was not crazy about the plane crash story line.

Truckers
Terry Pratchett
A Dangerous Fortune
Ken Follett
Wicked Gentlemen (Hells Below)
Ginn Hale
The Round House
Louise Erdrich
The Cat in the Cradle
Jay Bell
Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
Stacia Kane
Reach for the Moon (Alejo and Bobby, #2)
Val Kovalin