Msmiz - I read almost anything!

What a Blog you say? Really you shouldn't have, no I am serious, you shouldn't.

I love that I have a place for a blog description.  I am not creative enough to blog, hence never blogging before.  I absolutely stink at well thought out reviews, but I read. I read A LOT.  It used to be more, I could average 800+ books a year.  But then the EDJ started asking me to put forth more effort for pay.  Bastards.

Written in the Stars

Most important here though is my rating scale.  I put forth a lot of 3 stars.  I would prefer a scale of 7 points measurement, hence my 3s are more like 3, 4, and 5 respectively.  In fact, most books that fall within the 3, I would like to take out to the 3rd, if not 4th decimal.  With that said, here is the basic summary of scale.

5- Beyond brilliant, would read again without question

4- Better than your average bear.  Would not hesitate to recommend

3- Do not be fooled.  These are books I liked but the fall into the category of:

Cotton Candy for the brain

Great story, needs editing

Great characters, needs editing

Hit the right spot, needs editing

Could not quite get me there.  The story was just short of a home run.

Short stories.  While I do love a good Novella/short story, etc, it has to be AMAZING

to the Nth degree to knock it up to a 4.

2- Story, characters, and/or editing were not enough to pull it out.  My head popped up

and out of the story too often

1- Are you kidding me with this shit?

What I read

As the title professes, just about anything.  I prefer stories that take me out of real life.  I get enough of that at home. Thus, I tend to stay away from self help or theory based books.  I am a very character driven reader.  I like a good plot just like any reader, but for me, a story really wins if I can fall into the stories and feel the characters.

Enough out of me for now!

Lovegames - M. Jules Aedin When a menage story is written well, I am as happy as a pig in slop. There is something amazing about three people together in love and so in sync with each other that they are perfect compliments to one another. I mean think about how hard it is to be with just one other person, let alone 2! Add in the fact that books such as Lovegames are about three men together, it is fascinating to see to see it play out.

As there is so much that goes into a threesome, it is hard to pull off in a story. Two of the biggest issues that is often talked about are; 1. can you believe that the relationship is equal on all parts and 2. is the love the three people share real and convincing? M. Jules Aedin, does pull that off in this book. By the end, I was fully convinced that Sebastian, Adam and Keith were truly in love. Throw on top of that some phenomenal hot sex and I was a goner. The evolution of each character and lets be honest, I think Keith is the one that changed the most was thought out and again, believable. I mean there was a rocker, an actor and a student. So much drama, angst and fuckery should be expected with this group!! The author also did (IMO - not an expert) a good job in displaying the effects of untreated psychological illness on oneself as well as the effects on each relationship.

There were a few things that did not work for me. First, it seems like there were too many parallel plot lines. For example, I do not think the 'thing' with Adam at work was necessary. It is hard enough to iron out a new relationship, let alone have all of these other pressures taking the reader away from the main plot. Second, the ending was abrupt. I had a moment when after all I had been through with these three, I said 'You have GOT to be kidding me' - where the HELL is the rest of the book. It was like bam bam bam bam with this roller coaster, 'okay bye now'. If I did not see the words The End I would have thought something was wrong with my book. It just needed some finishing touches and closure. Grrrr this does not make me a happy reader at all.

All in all a decent book that will not sit well with readers that do not like open relationships. If you are expecting Paper Planes, this is not the book for you, go back and re-read Paper Planes;) I will still continue to read any book this author produces, but for me Paper Planes was brilliant and Lovegames did not meet my expectations. S

Truckers
Terry Pratchett
A Dangerous Fortune
Ken Follett
Wicked Gentlemen (Hells Below)
Ginn Hale
The Round House
Louise Erdrich
The Cat in the Cradle
Jay Bell
Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
Stacia Kane
Reach for the Moon (Alejo and Bobby, #2)
Val Kovalin