Msmiz - I read almost anything!

What a Blog you say? Really you shouldn't have, no I am serious, you shouldn't.

I love that I have a place for a blog description.  I am not creative enough to blog, hence never blogging before.  I absolutely stink at well thought out reviews, but I read. I read A LOT.  It used to be more, I could average 800+ books a year.  But then the EDJ started asking me to put forth more effort for pay.  Bastards.

Written in the Stars

Most important here though is my rating scale.  I put forth a lot of 3 stars.  I would prefer a scale of 7 points measurement, hence my 3s are more like 3, 4, and 5 respectively.  In fact, most books that fall within the 3, I would like to take out to the 3rd, if not 4th decimal.  With that said, here is the basic summary of scale.

5- Beyond brilliant, would read again without question

4- Better than your average bear.  Would not hesitate to recommend

3- Do not be fooled.  These are books I liked but the fall into the category of:

Cotton Candy for the brain

Great story, needs editing

Great characters, needs editing

Hit the right spot, needs editing

Could not quite get me there.  The story was just short of a home run.

Short stories.  While I do love a good Novella/short story, etc, it has to be AMAZING

to the Nth degree to knock it up to a 4.

2- Story, characters, and/or editing were not enough to pull it out.  My head popped up

and out of the story too often

1- Are you kidding me with this shit?

What I read

As the title professes, just about anything.  I prefer stories that take me out of real life.  I get enough of that at home. Thus, I tend to stay away from self help or theory based books.  I am a very character driven reader.  I like a good plot just like any reader, but for me, a story really wins if I can fall into the stories and feel the characters.

Enough out of me for now!

Is anyone else feeling this way?

I think I have reached my limit. I am tired of the hypocritical thin skinned authors and their hysterics. I am tired of their ridiculous and uninformed kiss ass supporters. I am tired of reading shitty books. I am tired of it all and I don't see any of this going away any time soon. New authors and ancient authors alike refuse to accept that their writing is a PRODUCT the moment they charge me for it. It's not an effing baby.  And it might even be ugly as hell and not at all ready for public consumption. I'm not here to coddle and promote. I'm not here to worry about an authors debt, their sick family or their tender feelings. We all have shit to deal with but most of us have to deal with careers that dole out criticism when we do what they perceive as a crappy job and we take it because that's how the world works. I want to go back to the days when we could share our thoughts about books with each other any way we damn well pleased But now that can only happen face to face. Thank the gods for my local reading group.

i just wasted too much time reading the Amazon Authors Who Do Not Want Anonymous Reviews thread and I am still in disbelief over some of the things I read there. I then did something I've never been infuriated enough to do. I deleted three five star reviews for books by Sharon Sala who seems to forget that she's written under an alias. One of those books, Annie and the Outlaw, only had three reviews which included mine. This made me sad and angry.  I loved those effing books and recommended them to friends often but those days are done. I can no longer separate the person from the work. I can no longer be a part of this petty bullshit. I can no longer support an author who thinks so little of her readers that she'd expose them to potential danger by forcing them to review using their real name in some misguided attempt to further her career and to keep herself safe from "threats and bullies".  If you can make  sense out of this line of reasoning please let me know because I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

They may think they're winning but if most of us stop sharing our thoughts, our 1 star as well as our five star reviews, who the hell will be left to review besides their family and their sycophants? And none of us are dumb enough to fall for that shit more than once.  Who will get the word out about their books? Honestly at this point i don't even care. I feel really lame for wasting so much energy on this reviewing hobby and might just start focusing my energy on something else. Another hobby that won't shit all over me. I realize some authors are cool, Ed Lorn you get it and there are many others,  but it seems as if every time I open my email another author is spewing their crazy ass shit all over the internet. Right now It all seems like such a complete waste of my time.

Reblogged from Bark's Book Nonsense

Truckers
Terry Pratchett
A Dangerous Fortune
Ken Follett
Wicked Gentlemen (Hells Below)
Ginn Hale
The Round House
Louise Erdrich
The Cat in the Cradle
Jay Bell
Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
Stacia Kane
Reach for the Moon (Alejo and Bobby, #2)
Val Kovalin