Msmiz - I read almost anything!

What a Blog you say? Really you shouldn't have, no I am serious, you shouldn't.

I love that I have a place for a blog description.  I am not creative enough to blog, hence never blogging before.  I absolutely stink at well thought out reviews, but I read. I read A LOT.  It used to be more, I could average 800+ books a year.  But then the EDJ started asking me to put forth more effort for pay.  Bastards.

Written in the Stars

Most important here though is my rating scale.  I put forth a lot of 3 stars.  I would prefer a scale of 7 points measurement, hence my 3s are more like 3, 4, and 5 respectively.  In fact, most books that fall within the 3, I would like to take out to the 3rd, if not 4th decimal.  With that said, here is the basic summary of scale.

5- Beyond brilliant, would read again without question

4- Better than your average bear.  Would not hesitate to recommend

3- Do not be fooled.  These are books I liked but the fall into the category of:

Cotton Candy for the brain

Great story, needs editing

Great characters, needs editing

Hit the right spot, needs editing

Could not quite get me there.  The story was just short of a home run.

Short stories.  While I do love a good Novella/short story, etc, it has to be AMAZING

to the Nth degree to knock it up to a 4.

2- Story, characters, and/or editing were not enough to pull it out.  My head popped up

and out of the story too often

1- Are you kidding me with this shit?

What I read

As the title professes, just about anything.  I prefer stories that take me out of real life.  I get enough of that at home. Thus, I tend to stay away from self help or theory based books.  I am a very character driven reader.  I like a good plot just like any reader, but for me, a story really wins if I can fall into the stories and feel the characters.

Enough out of me for now!

JR's latest WTF'ery...........

The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12) - J.R. Ward

Mayhap this was the worst book in the series- well no - the desecration of Qhuinn and Blay's story sucked really bad. Ah shit, no Tohr's book was bad....god, have they all recently gotten bad and we are just glutton's for this stuff? Verily JR Ward has gotten ridiculous with the slang, hip hop references, and the uneven old world language. With alacrity this may be the last book I read in the series. Mayhap...not sure.....Okay I lied - I would read Lassiter, Murhder, I'am, I may even be happy about Xcor's redemption...but we shall see. This was not the King's book - it is a running story of Trez, Xcor, Assail - all major asshats - a back story with The King's parents AND finally, a novella of the King thrown in.

JR Ward has forgotten:

1. The Brotherhood - where were they the majority of the story?
2. Editing - for god's sake woman, GET A FUCKING EDITOR! And if you have one, get a new one.
3. Loose threads - Honestly? The holes in this world are worse than the earth had with the Ozone. The rules have been stomped on so bad, it is hardly recognizable.

What worked - man oh man - Wrath and Beth. JR Ward did the King a disservice by including all that other bullshit in his story. It really took away from the real story. Wrath finding himself as King among the vampires, his brotherhood, and within his relationship with Beth. I will not spoil it, but lets just say, Wrath does not let us down not one second in this book. He will always be the one for me!!! This got 3 stars only because of my true love for Wrath.

The book was long, oh so long, yet the ending will feel like JR sucked on some Nitro and took off at 300 mph. What the hell, you give up at the end there JR?

Truckers
Terry Pratchett
A Dangerous Fortune
Ken Follett
Wicked Gentlemen (Hells Below)
Ginn Hale
The Round House
Louise Erdrich
The Cat in the Cradle
Jay Bell
Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
Stacia Kane
Reach for the Moon (Alejo and Bobby, #2)
Val Kovalin